July 16, 2007

FAQ: Why Be Wiccan?

From Patti's Paganism/Wicca Blog
I got an interesting email the other day, and wanted to share it with you. I believe the writer really is trying hard to understand, but is laboring under the Dominant Religion Lens Factor, so I took the time to answer her question. She asks, "I'm not Wiccan, and I'm trying to understand why people are leaving Christianity to follow Wicca. What is it that makes people turn their backs on a God of love and peace to worship Wiccan gods?"While I could have just said, "We became Wiccan for the fabulous potluck dinners," I truly think it's important to address the question, and here's why. The writer appears to be under the misconception that Wiccans are simply people who got disgruntled with Christianity, and that's just not the case. It has nothing to do with who has cooler gods. Read on for my response to her: Why Do People Become Wiccan?

No comments: